This is the same thing I’ve talked about when I was covering the 8 Hacks for Stress Free Mornings. I know having an organized house when you have little ones around is not an easy task. However, the more organized your home is, the easier your nights will be.
These are some ideas that are relatively easy to implement and will make your bedtime routines smoother:
- Set place in your house for backpacks. This will not only make your mornings easier, but also your nights. As soon as your kids come back from school, make sure they fully empty their backpacks. As soon as they’re done with their homework, make sure they put everything they need to bring to school the following day in their backpacks. As soon as backpacks are ready, they should be hanged or put away in their designated area. That way, you know kids won’t be running around to prepare them five minutes before bedtime.
- Maintain a place for after school activities gear. This can be in the same area as you keep their backpacks or in a separate area. The goal though, is to keep it all organized and always in the same place. As soon as your children come back from their activities, everything should go back to its place. If there are things to be washed, they should go straight to your washer machine, and put back in their place as soon as they are ready.
- Designated area for the kids’ coats and jackets. As soon as the kids come back from school or after school activities, makes sure they put away their outwear properly hanged in the designated area.
- Designated area for kids’ shoes and boots. Make sure every time they take them off, they put them back in their place, so they always know where to find them.
- Designated area for kid’s accessories, such as winter hats, gloves, scarfs… Just as with coats and shoes, make sure every time your kids use their accessories that they put them away in their designated place.
- Designated area for brushes and hair accessories. I don’t know about your kids, but my daughters tend to leave their brushes, ribbons, hair pins… all around the house. It drives me crazy, because I don’t like having to run around the house in the morning trying to find a hair band. So, every night, I remind them to walk around and gather all their hair products and put them away in their designated drawers in the bathroom.
- Command Center for the Family. Have a set place in your home where you display the family calendar, after school activities and other important notes for each day, so every family member can quickly check and know what’s coming that day. It’d be ideal if the backpack area was by the command area, to keep it all together and organized.
- Organized Bathroom. Keep a bathroom caddy or basket for each child, where they can find their toothbrush, dental floss, and toothpaste. Have towels, hair accessories, creams, deodorant have a set place in their bathroom. Make sure your kids know that they need to put everything back in its place after using it.
Implementing this simple organization hacks, and getting your kids on board will significantly decrease your bedtime stress.
What other organization tips do you have?
Much love, Diana-